Building Streak

It's another new year. Another year to try and achieve goals. Couldn't get everything done in 2020. However, there's another opportunity to try. 


If I consistently do something everyday that advances the goal, no matter how small, in a matter of time, a streak is built.


One thing about streaks is that when you have one going, especially after going a significant distance, you don't want to break it. Soon, it becomes an habit. 


If I write a thousand words everyday, it might look small. However, when you calculate that after 365 days, that's 365,000 words, more than many people will write in their lifetime. 


And it's not just for writing. It could be for anything; walking to loss weight, praying, learning a new skill, anything. It just need that small step. 


And taking it a bit further, we (silly me. I meant I) can combine several goals and have streaks running from them. It doesn't have to begin big but we build on them over time. DWS wrote over 1.5 million CONSUMABLE words last year. That's from the streaks he's been keeping many years now. Amanda Lee wrote about 2.4 million. Some other person I met in a Facebook group wrote 2 million. It's doable. 


Sometimes, it also pays to set the bar high so you know you wouldn't fall too short should you fail to achieve it. However, that should be after you've attained a level of confidence in your ability to keep the streak. So, small first. 


I've set a yearly goal for myself. It's scary, but then, I wouldn't be excited to do it if it was going to be easy. 

I want to combine two streaks together. It's doable, although it would take a lot of grit and will power. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One lie doesn't invalidated the truths of the past

Completed a short story ghostwriting gig

There's nothing wrong with repetition